Automotive Intelligence, the web for automotive professionals

This Week:

 

 

© 1998 - 2001 Copyright & 
Disclaimer

Automotive Intelligence,
www.autointell.com
All Rights Reserved .
For questions please contact
editor@autointell.com  

Automotive Intelligence News

News of  March 28, 2001


 


First independent automotive logistics group in Europe to acquire Renaults logistics subsidiary CAT

Paris - Newly formed consortium Albateam (*) has signed an agreement to acquire Renault's logistics subsidiary CAT creating the first independent automotive logistics group in Europe. Albateam brings together the complementary business skills of three important automotive service providers, ready to supply diversified services to the automotive industry.

CAT, with its turnover of euros 1,2 billion in 2000, will be the platform for Albateam to meet the needs created by the rapidly evolving consolidation of the global vehicle manufacturing industry. This consolidation is increasingly focusing on the need to reduce the total cost of the finished vehicle supply chain by improving inventory velocity and logistics network innovation. Albateam will enable CAT to provide the supply chain with new services, expand into new markets and also grow by providing logistics management services for non-Renault customers.

The Albateam consortium has been formed by AutoLogic (one of the leading European providers of finished vehicle transport and technical services), TPG (a general provider of mail, express and contract logistics services and, through its TNT logistics division, with experience in automotive spare parts logistics) and Wallenius Lines (a leading global specialist in ocean transportation of vehicles and other cargo).

The Albateam consortium was advised for this transaction by Crédit Agricole Indosuez in France. Renault will hold a 20% stake in Albateam, the remaining 80% being held by the other partners. CAT (Compagnie d'Affrètement et de Transport) has around 2 500 employees, two-thirds of whom are in France. Its business is divided between new vehicle logistics (which accounts for 64% of the turnover) and general cargo and international business (36%). CAT is solidly established in Europe through its 13 subsidiaries, as well as in Latin America (Brazil, Mexico and Argentina). The acquisition is conditional upon the final approval of the European Commission.

(*) Global Automotive Logistics being the legal entity of Albateam.

AutoLogic offers a full range of vehicle preparation, distribution and transaction management services to the automotive industry and has operations in the UK, France, Belgium and Holland.  With a turnover of Euros 334 million, the Group has excelled at providing economic, efficient transportation and other related services to the automotive industry.

TPG, with its two brands TNT and Royal PTT Post, is a global provider of mail, express and logistics services. It employs approximately 130 000 people in 58 countries and serves over 200 countries. The company reported sales of euros 9.9 billion in 2000. TPG is publicly listed on the stock exchanges of Amsterdam, New-York, London and Frankfurt. TNT Logistics is a division of TPG employing 27 000 people operating in 26 countries, with sales of euros 2.2 billion in 2000 or 21.8% of the total turnover of the TPG Group.

Wallenius Lines is a Swedish shipping line specialized in ocean transportation of vehicles and other break-bulk cargo. The Wallenius Group operates through its two major joint venture shipping companies, in short sea with UECC and in deep sea with Wallenius Wilhelmsen. UECC operates 25 vessels and Wallenius Wilhelmsen operates 70 Pure Car Truck Carriers and ConRo- and RoRo-vessels. In addition, Wallenius Wilhelmsen provides the automotive industry with inland distribution and other land based services. The Wallenius lines Group, including its joint ventures, has 4 200 employees in more than 100 offices in 60 countries. The turnover is approximately 2 billion euros.

The Renault Group is one of the world leaders in its core business of vehicle manufacturing. Renault is a significant, well established manufacturer of passenger and light commercial vehicles in Western Europe. Following its acquisition of an equity stake in Nissan, the Renault Group now ranks among the six world leaders in the automobile industry. In addition, with its acquisition of two new brands, Dacia and Samsung, Renault has strengthened its potential for penetrating new markets. In 2000, Renault posted a net profit of euros 1.1 billion, on revenue of euros 40.1 billion.

(March 27, 2001)

[Homepage] [ News] [ Companies] [ Management] [ Publications] [ Events] [ Careers]
[Services] [Discussion] [ Guestbook] [ Search]

Hitometer